If you’ve been eating paleo for any amount of time, you’ve probably come to either love or hate coconut. The paleo enthusiasts’ favorite little gem has a multitude of different uses, and is held in high regard for its many health benefits, stemming mainly from the high amount of lauric acid (good stuff) and medium-chain fatty acids that contribute to lower LDL levels, weight loss, skin health and heart health. You can smother it on your skin, add it to your coffee, use it as deodorant, drink it’s milk and sprinkle it over sweet treats to give that extra bit of love.
I, for one, love the stuff, and I try to find ways to incorporate it into my cooking whenever I can. Whether it be curried chicken or dark chocolate truffles rolled in toasted coconut shreds, I’m kind of in love with the stuff.
I hope you’re just as excited as I am, because today I’ve come up with something similar to those little chocolate truffles I made a while back, and they’re chock-full of coconut deliciousness. Get ready, today we’re making…
Paleo Coconut Super Snacks
Prep time: 5 minutes | Wait time: 2 hours | Serves: several
- 1 1/3 C. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tbsp regular, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 C. almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. Stevia in the Raw (baking quantities)
- Mix the coconut milk and shredded together in a medium mixing bowl until you get a crumbly texture.
- Add the stevia to the coconut shreds and mix well.
- Put the almond butter and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat them together in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove, stir together well, then microwave once again for 30 seconds. Stir it one last time to make sure the oil and butter are completely incorporated.
- Mix the butter-oil combo with the shredded-coconut mixture.
- Put the mixture into the fridge for two hours.
- When the mixture is cold enough, roll it into separate bite-sized balls (Should yield roughly 16, depending on how large you’re rolling them.)
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!